We support U.S. and Canadian communities where we have a significant presence or business interest.
These communities range from rural to metropolitan, each with unique priorities and needs. Our employees
serve on local advisory committees for our Giving Fund and develop funding priorities within
four focus areas (see below) to support their particular community. This provides a strong companywide
framework for giving while allowing for flexibility to meet unique needs in our different communities.
A small portion of our grant making supports high-priority national initiatives directly related
to the sustainability and importance of working forests and the products and services they provide.
This may include sustainability issues related to forestry, sustainable forest products, housing,
improving ecosystems, and green energy. Applications in this category are accepted by invitation
Through the Weyerhaeuser Giving Fund we concentrate the majority of our funding in four focus areas:
- Affordable Housing and Shelter
- Education and Youth Development
- Environmental Stewardship
- Human Services, Civic and Cultural Growth
WHERE WE GIVE
Our giving is limited to areas where we have a significant presence, where at least 50 of our employees
work and live and/or where we own or manage forest land in key operating states in the United States
and Canada. If your community is not listed here, we regret we cannot consider support at this time.
In states where we manage forestlands (marked with *), we selectively support social and business
initiatives of interest to Weyerhaeuser that have a regional or statewide impact beyond a specific
Albany, Lebanon, Sweet Home
Federal Way, Seattle and Tacoma area
by invitation only
In considering requests for support, preference is given to projects and programs that meet the following:
- Serve a broad range of community residents
- Meet an important community need within our key areas of focus
- Show strong support from community leaders and other funders
- Are sustainable and managed competently with a history of accountability, results, cost-effectiveness,
strong leadership and innovation
- Provide a significant and measurable impact on quality of life
To be eligible for funding, a program must:
- Serve a community within a 50-mile/80-kilometer radius of a major Weyerhaeuser facility with 50
or more employees in the U.S. or Canada OR support a state-wide issue of interest to Weyerhaeuser
in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon or Washington
- Be a tax-exempt, nonprofit public charity classified under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal
Revenue Code OR a registered charity in Canada with a Canada Revenue Agency Number, or registered
as a provincial nonprofit society OR a public education institution or government entity
qualified under Section 170(c)(1) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code or qualified as a Canadian municipality.
BY INVITATION ONLY
- Support to organizations near our Corporate Headquarters communities (Federal Way, Tacoma, Seattle)
- Selected, high-priority national or international initiatives directly related to the sustainability
and importance of working forests.
OUR GIVING FUND DOES NOT
- Local community projects, services and organizations outside a 50-mile/80-kilometer radius of a
Weyerhaeuser community (See Where We Give)
- Activities that provide a direct or tangible benefit to Weyerhaeuser or our employees
- Individuals, including direct scholarship or bursary assistance
- Fraternal, social, labor or political organizations
- Activities that influence legislation
- Groups that discriminate based upon an individual’s gender, race, color, religion, national origin,
age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status or any other
characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law.
- Organizations seeking funds for theological purposes
- Groups or individuals seeking funds for sponsorships or to purchase tickets or tables at fundraising
- Sports teams or athletic events
- Operating deficits or debt liquidation
- Hospital building or equipment campaigns resulting in higher costs to health-care users
- Services the public sector is reasonably expected to provide
- Endowments and memorials
- Capital campaigns
- Multi-year requests
HOW TO APPLY
We have changed our grant application software to a sleek, intuitive, and powerful web-based portal
for faster and easier request submission. The first time you access an online application, you will be
prompted to sign in and create an application account using an email address and a password.
Please make note of your password.
Once you set up your account and begin a grant application, you will be able to access and view
notifications, alerts, and tasks, and also check on the status of your request directly from your account.
You may share your in-progress application with your coworkers and colleagues so they can add and contribute
to the application with ease. This account will contain all of your in-progress and submitted grant
applications, which you can access at any time.
BEGIN A NEW APPLICATION
||Before you begin, please review our Focus Areas and
||Funding priorities vary in each Weyerhaeuser community. Before submitting a grant application,
we encourage you to connect with the Weyerhaeuser Giving Fund advisor at
your local Weyerhaeuser facility.
BY INVITATION ONLY.
Please note: we proactively identify specific funding opportunities and do not accept
unsolicited applications for the following:
- HEADQUARTERS-AREA GRANTS: Grants serving communities in the Seattle/Tacoma/Federal Way, Wash., region
- NATIONAL GRANTS: Grants for a national project directly related to the sustainability and
importance of working forests
||Gather the following information essential to completing the application:
- The organization’s Tax ID or Canada Revenue Agency Number
- Contact Information
- Detailed information about the organization
- Detailed information about the request you are asking us to fund
- Financial information related to the organization and the project you are asking us to fund
||For optimal usability of the application portal and to mitigate any login or usability issues, Weyerhaeuser Giving Fund recommends setting your computer’s Internet browser to the latest version of Google Chrome, which can be downloaded here.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Application Deadline: August 31, 2015. We recommend you apply well before this deadline.
- Application Review Process: Applications are generally reviewed on an ongoing basis,
throughout the year. Grant Amount: Grants vary in scale in relationship to our presence in the
community and the philanthropic budget available for the year. The minimum grant awarded is $1,000.
- Grant Notification: The majority of our communications with you will be through the
application portal. We generally communicate our funding decision after we receive a recommendation
to fund your request from your local Advisory Committee (not when you submit your grant application).
Many of our committees wait until after the August 31 deadline has passed to prioritize and finalize
their grant recommendations, which means you might not hear from us until the fall.
- Funding: We regret we cannot fund all applications we receive.
Send an email