We support U.S. and Canadian communities where we have a significant presence or business interest.
These communities range from rural to metropolitan, each with unique priorities and needs. Our employees
serve on local advisory committees for our Giving Fund and develop funding priorities within
four focus areas (see below) to support their particular community. This provides a strong companywide
framework for giving while allowing for flexibility to meet unique needs in our different communities.
A small portion of our grant making supports high-priority national initiatives directly related
to the sustainability and importance of working forests and the products and services they provide.
This may include sustainability issues related to forestry, sustainable forest products, housing,
improving ecosystems, and green energy. Applications in this category are accepted by invitation
Through the Weyerhaeuser Giving Fund we concentrate the majority of our funding in four focus areas:
- Affordable Housing and Shelter
- Education and Youth Development
- Environmental Stewardship
- Human Services, Civic and Cultural Growth
WHERE WE GIVE
Our giving is limited to areas where we have a significant presence, where at least 50 of our employees
work and live and/or where we own or manage forest land in key operating states in the United States
and Canada. If your community is not listed here, we regret we cannot consider support at this time.
In states where we manage forestlands (marked with *), we selectively support social and business
initiatives of interest to Weyerhaeuser that have a regional or statewide impact beyond a specific
Albany, Lebanon, Sweet Home
Federal Way, Seattle and Tacoma area
by invitation only
In considering requests for support, preference is given to projects and programs that meet the following:
- Serve a broad range of community residents
- Meet an important community need within our key areas of focus
- Show strong support from community leaders and other funders
- Are sustainable and managed competently with a history of accountability, results, cost-effectiveness,
strong leadership and innovation
- Provide a significant and measurable impact on quality of life
To be eligible for funding, a program must:
- Serve a community within a 50-mile/80-kilometer radius of a major Weyerhaeuser facility with 50
or more employees in the U.S. or Canada OR support a state-wide issue of interest to Weyerhaeuser
in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon or Washington
- Be a tax-exempt, nonprofit public charity classified under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal
Revenue Code OR a registered charity in Canada with a Canada Revenue Agency Number, or registered
as a provincial nonprofit society OR a public education institution or government entity
qualified under Section 170(c)(1) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code or qualified as a Canadian municipality.
BY INVITATION ONLY
- Support to organizations near our Corporate Headquarters communities (Federal Way, Tacoma, Seattle)
- Selected, high-priority national or international initiatives directly related to the sustainability
and importance of working forests.
OUR GIVING FUND DOES NOT
- Local community projects, services and organizations outside a 50-mile/80-kilometer radius of a
Weyerhaeuser community (See Where We Give)
- Activities that provide a direct or tangible benefit to Weyerhaeuser or our employees
- Individuals, including direct scholarship or bursary assistance
- Fraternal, social, labor or political organizations
- Activities that influence legislation
- Groups that discriminate based upon an individual’s gender, race, color, religion, national origin,
age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status or any other
characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law.
- Organizations seeking funds for theological purposes
- Groups or individuals seeking funds for sponsorships or to purchase tickets or tables at fundraising
- Sports teams or athletic events
- Operating deficits or debt liquidation
- Hospital building or equipment campaigns resulting in higher costs to health-care users
- Services the public sector is reasonably expected to provide
- Endowments and memorials
- Capital campaigns
- Multi-year requests
HOW TO APPLY
- Application Deadline: August 1.
Our August 1 application deadline has passed. Please visit our website early next year if you wish to seek funding in 2015. We recommend you apply well before the application deadline if at all possible.
- Application Review Process: Applications are generally reviewed on an ongoing basis, throughout
the year. In some cases, an Advisory Committee may not provide a funding recommendation until later
in the fall after all opportunities to support the community have been considered.
- Grant Amount: Grants vary in scale in relationship to our presence in the community and the
philanthropic budget available for the year. The minimum grant awarded is $1,000.
- Grant Notification: The majority of our communications with you will be through e-mail. To
ensure you receive our e-mails, add weyerhaeuser.com to your list of contacts or check your junk-mail
regularly. We generally communicate our funding decision within 6-8 weeks after we receive a recommendation
to fund your request from your local Advisory Committee (not when you submit your grant application).
The entire process from submitting your grant application to receiving a decision may take several
months. Many of our committees wait until after the August 1 deadline has passed to prioritize and
finalize their grant recommendations, which means you might not hear from us until late in the year.
We regret we cannot fund all applications we receive and the majority of our grant turndowns are
sent very late in the year.
BEGIN A NEW APPLICATION
Please note: Our August 1 application deadline has passed. If you wish to seek funding in 2015, please visit our website early next year. We recommend you apply well before the application deadline if at all possible.
||Before you begin, please review our Focus Areas and
||Funding priorities vary in each Weyerhaeuser community. Before submitting a grant application we
encourage you to contact the Weyerhaeuser Giving Fund advisor at your local Weyerhaeuser
facility to determine if the committee has an interest in considering your proposal.
- HEADQUARTERS-AREA GRANTS, PLEASE NOTE: Grants serving communities in the Seattle/Tacoma/Federal
Way, Wash., area will be considered by invitation only. We proactively identify specific funding
opportunities and do not accept unsolicited applications.
- NATIONAL GRANTS, PLEASE NOTE: Grants for a national project directly related to the sustainability
and importance of working forests are considered by invitation only.
||Gather the following information essential to completing the application:
- The organization’s Tax ID or Canada Revenue Agency Number
- Contact Information
- Detailed information about the organization
- Detailed information about the request you are asking us to fund
- Financial information related to the organization and the project you are asking us to fund
||Use the appropriate link below to start a new grant application. Apply anytime, but no later than
Links to our online applications will be available when our next application period opens in January 2015.
Tips for saving and accessing your online application:
- The first time you access an online application, you will be prompted to create an application account
using an email address and a password. This account will contain copies of your in-progress or submitted
grant application, which you can access at any time. Please make note of your password.
- Although this is not required, we recommend you establish this application account using a general
email and password available to multiple members of your organization. This will ensure your application
is available to the organization even if there are personnel changes. If your organization applies
again in the future, this will be beneficial as several text fields will appear with the same information
previously provided, eliminating the need to re-type this information. It can also be edited as
- Save your application early and often in the process.
- Please save the confirmation emails reminding you of the email address and password you used to create your
account, and the link it contains to access your account (to return to your saved application or
view your submitted application).
- A link for logging into your grant application account is also provided above (see
Access Your Saved Application). You may need to completely close and re-open your web browser
for this link to take you to your application account.
- If you don’t receive a confirmation email immediately after you establish your account or submit
your application, please check your junk mail folder. To ensure you receive further communications
from us, add weyerhaeuser.com to your list of contacts or use your e-mail program’s function to
mark the email message as “not junk” to ensure our messages are received in your inbox.
- If your organization has submitted an online application previously, we recommend you begin subsequent
applications from that same application account. This will ensure that certain text you provided
from an earlier application will appear in the new application, eliminating the need for you to
retype it (for example, background text on your organization that may not have changed from your
previous application). You will be able to edit any information that appears from a previous application.
- When you are navigating through pages in the application, please do NOT use your browser’s Back
button – you will lose unsaved information. Please click the page numbers at the top of each screen
to navigate through your application.
- You may wish to print a hard copy of the application for your records, or save it to your computer
for future reference. Once your application has been submitted, you won't be able to make additional
changes or include additional attachments.
Send an email